Monday, July 14, 2014

Running with Meb!


About a month ago, on an unseasonably cool June morning, I had the opportunity to take part in a charity fun run with Boston Marathon winner Meb. The proceeds of the event were going to benefit MyTeam Triumph which is a wonderful organization.  This organization allows all individuals to realize their full potential.  Disabled athletes (Captains) to take part in athletic events through the use of specially designed racing equipment and able bodied athletes (angels) helping them safely cross the finish line.  If you have never witnessed this, it is a truly humbling experience.   My husband encouraged me to sign up since the proceeds were going to such a great organization. The event included the opportunity to meet Meb, run 2 miles withMeb and the rest of the group, photo ops and breakfast. I was running a half marathon the day after this event and I was honestly more nervous about a 2 mile run than I was the 13.1 the next day. Meb was fast, strong and a champion and I was just a mom trying to figure out this whole running thing.

When I arrived, Meb was there being interviewed by a local new station. I started making small talk with some of the other participants. When he finished his interview, he made his way over and talked to those of us taking part in the run. I had a photo taken with Meb which was pretty surreal.  Yes, he ran in that outfit. I guess that Wisconsin morning was a bit too cool for him.  

 

 


There were about 30 of us along with captains and angels fromMyTeam Triumph taking part that morning. We lined up at the start and were led down the path by a Green Bay Press Gazette truck complete with photographers on back. So, that is what it feels like to be an elite running at the front of the pack. I have to admit it was kind of nerve wracking being filmed and photographed like we were some kind of celebrities. Meb kept a comfortable pace which was a little faster than I am used to but I kept up for the majority of the run. I was slightly behind the rest of the pack for the last quarter mile but I caught up with Katie who is an angel from MyTeam Triumph and we finished the run together.  She was so sweet and she gave me a big hug at the end. I love being a runner because other runners are so supportive and friendly. This was one of those experiences you never forget and I get goosebumps just writing this recap.  


After the event I was on a complete high. It was amazing getting to meet new people.  In the end, I realized that I wasn’t that much different than Meb. We were both working towards something we were passionate about.  Success isn’t always about winning but is about giving it your all. While I will probably never win a race, I am a winner every time I lace up my shoes at a race and run my heart out regardless of where I place.

No comments:

Post a Comment