Sunday, July 6, 2014

Madison Twilight 10k

So Memorial day weekend marked my first 10k of the 2014 running season. This was going to be a fun race as it took place in the evening which meant we didn't have to leave at 4am to get there in time.  My parents came with us and stayed with the kids while my hubby and I ran. Had they not come along with us this would have been my hubby's race to run as he enjoys the 10k distance.  I wasn't sure how I was going to do at this race because I had just run a half the weekend before. My plan for this race was to get another PR. My approach with running is that you need to set a challenge for yourself or you will settle for less than what you are capable of. 

We spent the day in Madison and started by visiting the race expo.  My kids were having a blast in the photo booth with my mom and dad while at the expo.  We spent time around the capital during the afternoon and even ran into John's cousin who gave us some helpful information which helped us in successfully completing this race. I wasn't sure how to properly eat during the day to make sure I was well prepared to run at 8 that night. I didn't want to eat too much before the race and end up being sluggish. I decided to err on the side of caution and eat lightly between lunch and the race and that seemed to work well for me.

Our youngest daughter was running the kids race that evening so my hubby got her to the start line while I was ready for her at the finish with my mom, son and daughter. It was a .6 mile run around the capital. I love when races offer kids races as it encourages physical fitness and gives them a sense of pride when they cross that finish line.

My hubby, daughter and I before the race

There she is coming in for her big finish



I think we know who the next half marathoner is


Our race started at 8pm and it was warm but not unbearable. While my hubby and I started out running together I left him take the lead about a half mile in. I didn't want to try to keep up with him and lose steam when I needed it most in the race. Madison is hilly and I knew there were some killer hills in the first half of the race. A little before we hit the first mile we hit a steep hill. I walked up the hill to save energy.  Not much after that we hit Observatory drive. This was the hill we were warned about. When I saw this hill, I was thinking "hell no" but I briskly walked up the hill. Even the best runners were going to have trouble with this hill.  In my opinion this was a make or break hill for those who were going for a PR.  While the hill was tough, the view from the top was spectacular. The sun was setting over the water and it was beautiful.  If I wasn't going for a PR, I would have stopped to take a photo but I knew that if I had any chance of getting a PR I was going to have to work for it.

I crossed the 5k timing mat at about 41 minutes in. I felt defeated at this point because I knew that keeping that pace meant that I didn't stand a chance. I kept pushing through and saw something interesting. I was passing lots of people in that second half of the race. People were running out of steam. Before I knew it I was past the 5 mile mark and was headed back towards the capital. I continued to pass people as I headed towards the finish. Then I saw the 6 mile mark and the finish line was getting close. I kicked it into high gear. I heard my family yelling for me as I was about to cross the line. I saw the clock and I did it. I got my PR! I ran the second half almost 4 minutes faster than the first half. My strategy to start out slow and walk the hills worked. This day was fabulous from start to finish and I will be returning to run this race again! 



My hubby nearing the finish line
Almost there! 

Crossing the finish line!


My hubby and I post race











No comments:

Post a Comment