Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My decision to start

Well, a few months ago I woke up deciding I wanted to run a marathon. This is amusing because I have a few pounds to lose and I rarely exercised. I couldn't run more than a city block without feeling like I was going to die. I decided this time I was going to make it happen. Maybe it was the tragedy in Boston and the way the running community rallied with one another and their resolve because stonger. Maybe it was the fact I was less than two weeks from turning 35. Maybe it was because less than two weeks after that morning, what I thought was my next challenge fell apart, and running was going to be what saved me. I don't know the exact reason but since I made that decision I haven't given up.

Since making that decision, I have made more progress than I could have ever imagined.  I walked my first 10k in June and felt like I was broken after that. Every part of me hurt and it took me weeks to get back into the groove of trying to run.

In August I ran in two 5k races and did better than I imagined I could. While I didn't set any records I also didn't finish last in either race.

In September I ran my first 10k and managed to run almost the entire race. 

In October I ran a small 4 mile race and didn't run as well as I hoped but I finished in 52 minutes flat.

In November, I ran the race that became a turning point for me. I completed a half marathon. Yes, me finishing a half. It still feels surreal but more on that experience in a future post.

I am so glad I stuck with this and am so excited for where this is going to take me. Stay tuned as I make my way to my ultimate goal of 26.2. Sometimes making the decision to start is the hardest but can lead to amazing things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment